If you are evaluating the Midwest for a data center, KCP&L is here to help. We offer some of the lowest rates in the country, know the territory, understand your needs and can help make your venture a success.
KCP&L’s expert team of senior-level professionals is focused on supporting data center growth in our service area. We know how important it is to move your projects forward quickly, efficiently and profitably. Here are a few reasons why this region is an excellent site for data centers:
The Kansas City Region: Superior Energy, Capability and Reliability
One of the most important advantages KC offers is its inherent protection against energy black-outs. Your risks of experiencing an energy black-out are influenced greatly by the distance you are from your primary energy source and your back-up energy source. KC provides:
• Consistently ranked among the best for constant, uninterrupted service
• Exceptional low-cost energy prices
• Local generation via coal, nuclear, wind generation plants
Central U.S. Location:
Kansas City has a central U.S. location, reducing the likelihood that KC-based operations will become a target for disruption. In the case that a disaster recovery site is sought, KC is within a day’s driving distance of a number of metropolitan areas.
World-Class Telecommunications Infrastructure:
Home to Sprint’s headquarters and major AT&T, Time Warner Cable, tw telecom and Verizon regional facilities, KC is also the first city in the world to receive Google Fiber. Greater Kansas City enjoys the benefit of one of the world’s most advanced telecommunications networks. It is a focal point both for long-haul fiber and transcontinental fiber networks. Several carriers provide 100G.
Kansas City Offers One of the Deepest I.T. Talent Pools in the Central U.S.:
• Available labor in I.T. professions (over 38,000) is strong
• Sprint headquarters, significant operations for AT&T, tw telecom, and Time Warner Cable
• Financial: American Century, Federal Reserve Bank of KC, H&R Block, Key Bank, State Street, and U.S. Bank
• Data Processing, Software & Engineering: Bayer, Black & Veatch, Burns & McDonnell, Cerner, CitiGroup, CRB Consulting Engineers, Inc., DST Systems, Garmin, GBA, Gibbens Drake Scott, Henderson Engineers, Honeywell, and Olsson Associates
• KLG Advisors named KC as one of the top 10 domestic markets for I.T. talent attraction and retention
• Utility – five-year flexible discount equivalent to one year of free electricity
• Real Property Tax Abatement – discretionary program offered by many cities
• Training – flexible, tailored programs for the client company
• Tax Credits – based on job creation & capital investment
• Personal Property Tax Exemption – full exemption provided in Kansas; Missouri communities have discretionary programs developed to reduce or eliminate property tax on machinery and equipment
• Potential sales tax exemption on construction and equipment.
Availability of targeted sites and facilities with existing power and telecom infrastructure.
Data Center Management Support
• KCnext – The Technology Council of Greater Kansas City
• KC area CIOs run a peer group that meets monthly
• AFCOM data center industry chapter
• 7×24 Exchange