Fundamentals of Economic Development is an interactive workshop that presents an overview of the economic development process, as well as exploring trends and emerging issues. The topics covered are similar to the core concepts included in training courses attended by professional economic developers and include:
- What is “Economic Development”?
- Organizing and Funding Economic Development Efforts
- Business Development Strategies – Creation, Attraction, Retention and Expansion
- You Can’t Do It Without a Plan
- Telling Your Community’s Story
- Marketing Your Community / Region
- The Role of Incentives and Financing Economic Development Projects
The format is flexible and adaptable to individual community needs and is designed to give the non-professional an understanding of key economic development principles, strategies and tools.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND
The workshop is designed for local elected officials, chamber and local economic development organization board of directors, community volunteers and anyone interested in learning more about the process of community economic development.
COST AND LOGISTICS
The workshop is presented in a 3.5 hour format and includes handouts for participants. Local host is responsible for securing meeting space and logistics.